Friday, April 27, 2012

And justice for all...

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly before your God...

My employment is being an attorney.  This always surprises people. They have never met a poor lawyer...it is amusing to watch people register this fact about me.  I am SO NOT the typical attorney at law.

I went to law school with the lofty idea of helping people.  My calling came out of Proverbs 31:8&9. "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those who are perishing. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice."

I am ashamed to say - that I lost track of this calling at points in my career - the lure of money and influence often clouded my mission to seek justice for the poor and helpless.  Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with making a good living and influencing your profession - these are noble pursuits when coupled with God's will.  But my call is different...on and off for 10 years I have struggled with the drive to be the best - make the most - make a name for myself AND the alternative voice - seek justice for those who cannot speak for themselves.

I am thankful that I serve a patient Father who gently guides me back to His plan for my life.  I am now working as a children services attorney in the poorest county in the State of Ohio.  I don't have an assistant or a plush office space - no one brings me coffee or goes to pick up my lunch (I would so love this!!).  But I work with the most amazing, committed people I have ever met.

This week I had a trial - I cannot give the details, but, seriously, it was the most rewarding thing I have ever been a part of...I watched love and truth overcome serious evil.  I do have a dramatic bend...but I am not exaggerating in this case. I have never been more fulfilled in my work than I am right now!  I had the opportunity to assist in giving the helpless a chance to speak up for themselves - to fulfill the exact call on my life. Praise be to God. He is the giver of good gifts.

IT IS WORTH IT! Following the Father's voice is worth it. I am posting this on my blog so when the dark times come - I can read it and remember, remember His goodness.

I will hold my head high as I clip coupons, barter for car repairs, and shop discount stores. I will shine up my 10 yr old car and tell anyone who will listen of His goodness and mercy.  I will begin to try to love this single wide trailer and the freedom it has given me to find this gift of obedience.

Happy weekend, friends. May you find the same gift of fulfillment in your daily lives.  May your days, even when they seem mundane, bring the Father glory!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elisabeth! I just stumbled across your blog...I'm inspired by the lifestyle that you and your husband are CHOOSING for yourselves and your family (as opposed to having it chosen by you by a society that influences and drags us along with the flow). My husband and I are successful by worldly standards, but are reconsidering our lifestyle as well with the birth of our son. It's inspiring to see others make intentional decisions about the life they want to live--and I hope you are encouraged! I can only imagine the comments you all have gotten--we've just started getting our share from those around us for even PLANNING on this type of a life-style! Be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete