Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Guess what DOES fit in my Single Wide Trailer...




Dad preaching at Lighthouse Ministries
MY MEMORIES!!!

My father, Herschel Holley, would have been 60 years old tomorrow (7/13).  He died about 3 1/2 years ago.  I miss him everyday. 

He was the senior pastor at Lighthouse Ministries in Columbus, Ohio and a friend to all that crossed his path.  The day before the surgery that would take his life - he was giving me instructions from his hospital bed to check on a lady in the trailer-court next to the church.  She had just had a baby and didn't have health insurance - he was very worried about her physical and mental health...

He loved our church people. Mike and I served with him at the church  - as did my sister and her husband - it was wonderful to minister together and to be under his teaching.






Mom and Dad (2006)
 My mom and dad grew up on the south end of Columbus, Ohio - mom lived in "the neighborhood" and they both graduated from Marion Franklin High School.  None of my grandparents finished high school.  It was not a fancy start. 

My parents met at a little church on Lock Avenue and were married right after mom finished high school - they would have been married 40 years on 7/10/11.  Their love for each other created a safe place for our family - including their grandchildren - dad could NOT get enough of his grand babies. 





Dad, Christian and Caden
(10/2003)



Dad and Christian at Spring School Play
(06/07)



These are just a Very few examples of his love...notice his smirk and smile in all of the pictures - he was such a wonderful Papaw...

Dad and Meredith at Cade's Birthday Party (04/2006)

At this transition in my life I would love to hear what he would think of our life change - what advice he would give.  I know that he would worry and shake his head at the drasticness (not a word - I know) of it all - but I also know that he would tell me how much he loves me and that to follow God's plan is the only way to go.  Dad's love for me - always gave me the courage to try - because I knew that if I failed - he would be there to help me pick up the pieces...many times he had helped me dust myself off and start again.  His unwavering confidence in me gave me strength.

The great news is that these same supports are available to me from my Heavenly Father.  I am so thankful that my father taught me about our Father and His path.  I would not be where I am today without this knowledge of God.

Dad left me his grandchildren as his legacy - and he would demand that they be brought up in the way of the Father...this lesson travels to the small single wide trailer in Ross County, Ohio.  The example and principles my dad taught fit easily into the small spaces of our new home.  I am so thankful for him and for the Faith he showed me how to live everyday of his life.

Happy Tuesday Everybody!! And Happy 60th Birthday, Dad - we miss you and love you!




2 comments:

  1. I love you Liz and I know your daddy is very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear his voice, the tone in which he would speak, the inflection he would use, "Babe, you gotta do what you gotta do!" I am certain he is proud, of your fabulousness (not a word, I know) as a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and an attorney. But most of all he would be JOYFUL for your obedience and in awe of your faith!! I know I am!

    ReplyDelete