Thursday, June 30, 2011

The day I "unliked" Macys...

(**macy's logo is the trademark property of macy's and NOT my property to reproduce for gain or sale)

To understand the trauma of removing any Macys information from anything in my life requires a little knowledge of my relationship with shopping...

Here in Columbus, OH - Macys bought-out a few years ago a long-time central Ohio company called Lazarus.  I began traveling to Lazarus as a very small child with my Nanna who had taken my mother to Lazarus as a small child.  Lazarus was a multi-generational gathering place for the latest sales and girl time in my family (Nanna, Aunties, Cousins, Best Friends, Sisters, etc.).  Obtaining a Lazarus credit card was an adult rite of passage for the women in my family. 

The day after Thanksgiving is a coupon festival at, you guessed it, Macys.  This tradition has continued until today.  Yes, I will still tag along to Macys for girl-time, but I am no longer their Facebook fan and have discontinued using Lancome Make-Up (you can't see me - but there is much thrashing and weeping at my desk right now...) and (big gulp) my Macys credit card.
<<I am now a coupon carrying L'Oreal girl or whatever else my sister can get on sale at WalGreens.  Thanks Sara - I love you!>>

There is not much room in my Single Wide Trailer for Macys clearance deals and extras - Mike and I will be sharing a closet the size of, it is so small, I don't know what to compare it to...it will only hold a few pairs of shoes and remnants of our old life.

I am not complaining as much as stating the facts and trying to get my mind around it.  I am sure this seems very shallow to most of you.

But I love to shop - I love the smell of Macys - the fragrances - the make-up - the clothing.  It has a calming effect on me every time!  Anytime an exciting event takes place - I go shopping.  A new house, new season, holiday, new baby, wedding, graduation, good trial decision...I want to SHOP!  Unfortunately, it has been a fixture in my uber-consumer lifestyle. 

As we strive to live more simply, I want to be a producer instead of a consumer.  I want to learn to be satisfied with things that are still usable and learn to "make do" in an attempt to disconnect from our "must have more" society and fully embrace whatever God has for us...I am still working this out in my mind!!  But for me, it means unliking Macys on Facebook and not using my Macys credit card...


Have a GREAT Thursday!!

My Elisha saying "Happy Thursday"

1 comment:

  1. Elisabeth, I think there will come a day sooner than later, where you'll find you don't miss those things very much at all. Because as you live your life in radical obedience to God, He will replace those desires with Himself. Revolutionizing the way we think about what we truly NEED versus what we want is awesome. Challenging, because of the culture we live in, but possible. I have great respect and even some jealousy over what you are doing. :) You are making room for God to show up and I know that He will.I love that you're blogging. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete